Hockey Puck, Rattlesnake, Monkey Monkey Underpants

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Crash and Burn

Sorry if you've called and I haven't called you back. Or if you've wished me well on Facebook or Twitter and I haven't responded. I've been a bit preoccupied. I think the best way you could describe our move, the move I was sooooo excited about, is nightmare.

I promise you, this is the short version of the story:
We were supposed to move into our basement apartment last Saturday. 3 hours before we were supposed to pull up to our new house, we got a call from the homeowners saying it wasn't ready yet. So, we gave them another day and assumed everything would be ready when we arrived on Sunday. We spent money on a hotel. We stressed out our dogs. It wasn't ready Sunday either, but we moved in anyway. None of the baseboards were down, switches and outlets weren't covered, the stove didn't work, we had no cable or internet (even though they had it upstairs)the closet wasn't finished, there were holes in the ceiling, etc, etc, etc. Since moving in, we've found out that the washer and dryer were faulty, the plumbing was all screwed up and consequently our bathroom and kitchen flooded, the stove finally got hooked up only to find out that the reason it had been unhooked in the first place is that one of the burners is stuck to "on" and could kill us at any moment. One week after moving in, the stove still doesn't work, some of the baseboards still aren't down, there's now water under the floor in our kitchen, and right this moment we don't have a toilet. The toilet problem should be fixed tonight though.

It's been rough. If we had anywhere else to go we probably would have. I've cried quite a bit and it's certainly been stressful. Things are starting to improve but we're already counting down the months until we can move.

The only thing that has been really good is that I started work this Wednesday at The United Church, where I am the Minister to College Students and Young Adults. I get to build a college ministry from scratch which is both exciting and daunting. But the church has been incredible in the few days I've been working there. They've really embraced Derek and I and we're glad to have that connection here in this big, strange city.

We like life in DC so far though. There's so much to do and see which is always exciting. We know if we can get all of the issues with our apartment taken care of, we'll really enjoy living here.

I'll be in contact quite a bit more from now on... at least I'll try. Don't forget about me far away friends.

3 comments:

  1. That's awful! I'm sorry things have been so bad. You should be able to get out of your lease - your landlord is NOT keeping up his/her end of the deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I 2nd Laura's comment! Get out if you can!! Sorry about all this! Keep us posted! Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 3rd that! We miss you...how about you just move back down here? :)

    ReplyDelete