Hockey Puck, Rattlesnake, Monkey Monkey Underpants

Monday, March 29, 2010

The Results Are In...

The main reason for our trip to DC was my scholarship competition. Money is definitely a huge concern for us as we start this process, so I was pretty nervous about going. The scholarship awards were determined by a single, 30 minute interview. To be honest, I'm pretty sure I bombed it. I got so nervous and flustered that when I look back on it, I feel even dumber than I did at the time. Nothing I said was what I wanted to say. Words completely failed me. I walked out of there feeling sure that not only were they not going to give me a scholarship, they were going to revoke my admission.

Thankfully, the interviewers got the point that I can be articulate and I'm passionate and mostly, I'm excited about the work that Wesley Theological Seminary is doing to prepare people for ministry. I got a good scholarship that's worth almost 2/3's of tuition! It's so wonderful just to know what's available and what Derek and I are dealing with as far as funding my theological education is concerned.

I was pretty disappointed though that when I got the call about my scholarship, they said nothing about being an Urban Fellow. After visiting Wesley and seeing the amazing work that the Urban Fellows are doing I was so excited about it. I knew the spots were limited, but I was just hoping that I would be one of the lucky students who were picked. When I didn't hear that I'd been chosen I was so disappointed.

Good for me, the notification that I have been chosen to be an Urban Fellow came this past Friday! I will be a part of the 2nd cohort of students who will be working on a Community Based Action Research Project and Cooperate Praxis Projects. This program is really focused on tying together theological education and the implementation of those practices at the same time. It's going to be amazing (and it's definitely going to make this blog more interesting!).

Now we just have to find a place to live... if you hear of any inexpensive, dog friendly, Metro accessible apartments in the DC area just let me know.

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME! So glad you got good news too! Looks like we'll be going to the same school again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl!!! So excited for you and derek and marg!

    ReplyDelete